At Ladybirds preschool we provide all children attending with
an ‘online learning journal’ through the platform of ‘Tapestry’, which records observations, photos and videos and also provides an opportunity for parents to comment and add their own observations
to their own child’s journal. This helps to provide a strong partnership between the setting and home as the children develop from when they first attend the preschool through to when they
leave to attend Primary School (or for any other reasons if before this time).
- At Ladybirds Pre-school we use the secure online system Tapestry which allows staff
and parents to access the information via a personal password protected login.
- Each child is allocated a key person who is responsible for their development and the
compilation of their learning journals, however all staff are able to capture observations for each others children.
- Parents logging into the system are only able to see their child(ren)’s learning
- Parent access allows them to comment (or ‘reply’) to observations that staff have
inputted as well as adding their own observations and photos/videos – any observations the parents add have to be approved and added into the journal by the manager to ensure appropriate
- Before parents are linked to their child(ren)’s learning journal they are asked to
give permission for their child’s photo to appear in other children’s learning journals.
- Before using accessing the system, parents have to sign to agree not to download and
share any information on any other online platforms or social networking sites (such as Facebook).
- Each child’s learning journal is a document to record their learning and development
which parents can add comments on or contribute to with information of what they have been doing at home. Any further discussion of progress or concerns will be done during a face to face
conversation at the setting during a prior agreed time.
- Observations are regularly monitored by the manager and assessed during staff
meetings/regular supervisions to ensure they are providing relevant and informative information.
Safe Use Agreement
- Staff should log out of
the Tapestry app or program when they are finished in order to maintain confidentiality.
- Staff should not share
log in or password details with any person not employed by Ladybirds Pre-School.
- Staff should not share
any information or photographs relating to children with any person not employed by Ladybirds Pre-School.
- Staff should take all
responsible steps to ensure the safe keeping of any portable device e.g. iPad that they are using and report any missing devices.
- All entries on Tapestry
must be appropriate.
- At all times staff must
comply with Safeguarding policies (including data protection, Images of children, confidentiality)
- Staff are able to “sign
out” a iPad/tablet with the manager or deputy to take home over night, the manager checks there are no gallery pictures and on return will check internet history before it is signed back
- Staff only have their own
log in details at practitioner level i.e. limited use, the manager has the overall log in details for full access.
runs in conjunction with the following policies:
- Use of mobile phones
- Images of
Policy adopted at meeting – Oct 2007
Reviewed by : Ladybirds Directors
Date implemented: 20.02.2018